Kilmacanogue 1-9 Newtown 0-10

Kilmacanogue got their Junior A Championship off to a dream start last Tuesday evening with a slender 1-9 to 0-10 victory over Newtown writes Daniel Gorman.

The Fitzsimon’s Park side found themselves trailing by two points after just two minutes, with Newtown’s Anthony Duffy twice firing over within 120 seconds of throw in to give his side the perfect start.

Wicklow minor star Niall Meldon then pulled one back for his side, curling a fine effort over from 30 yards out.

Newtown then raced into a four point lead thanks to scores from Dessie Waters, Noel McKenna and Christopher Power and it appeared that Power and co. were cruising to their first points of the Championship.

But Kilmac soon roused from their subdued state and began clawing their way back into the tie. Kevin Molloy, Niall Meldon and Andrew Molloy all sent the ball between the posts within seven minutes of each other to reduce the arrears to a single point and Kilmac found themselves level at the break when Kevin Molloy registered his second point of the contest, knocking over a close range free kick.

Within two minutes of the restart Newtown found themselves trailing for the first time all evening when Kilmac midfielder Stephen Morgan drove a shot over the crossbar.

Anthony Duffy popped over his third point of the match in the 42nd minute to draw the side’s level once more with Newtown’s first score in over 25 minutes.

Kevin Molloy restored Kilmac’s narrow lead a minute later with his third score of the game but that lead lasted less than 60 seconds, with Newtown’s Michael Heffernan sending over a lovely 40 yard effort to tie the scores at 0-7 to 0-7 with just 15 minutes remaining.

Heffernan then put his side ahead when he fired over the rebound after Waters had been denied a certain goal by Kilmac custodian Patrick King who pushed the centre half forward’s effort onto the crossbar.

Kevin Molloy and Morgan both notched shortly thereafter to see the lead change hands for the fourth time, meaning Kilmac lead with six minutes remaining.

And then came the defining moment of the contest in the 55th minute. Kilmac defender Tom Byrne pumped the ball in towards full forward Andrew Molloy, and the number 14 outmuscled his man before barging his way towards goal and firing the ball into the roof of the net with his left foot.

Terry Murphy and Richard Franey pulled two points back late on but it was all in vain for Newtown, who finished the match with 14 men after Dessie Waters was dismissed for striking an opponent.

Kilmacanogue: 1. Patrick King, 2. Eoin Tuohy, 3. Andrew Fitzsimons, 18. Tom Byrne, 5. Simon Doyle, 6. Bob O’Donnell, 7. Barry Fitzpatrick, 8. Stephen Morgan (0-2), 9. Craig O’Neill, 10. Niall Meldon (0-2), 11. Kevin Molloy (0-4), 12. Robert Conan, 13. Aaron Creavin, 14. Andrew Molloy (1-1), 15. Dean O’Neill.

Newtown : 1. Trevor O’Brien, 2. Richard Franey (0-1), 3. Daniel Curran, 4. Stuart Power, 5. Lorcan Duff, 6. Noel McKenna (0-1), 7. Oisin Greenan, 8. Terry Halpin, 9. PJ Dowling, 10. Christopher Power (0-1), 11. Dessie Waters (0-1), 12. Terry Murphy (0-1), 13. Anthony Duffy (0-3), 14. Craig Murphy, 15. Michael Heffernan (0-2).

Referee: Philip Bracken (Laragh).

Venue: Newcastle.